Position Title: Health Records Technician Position
Status: Full Time
Rate of Pay: $28.18 – $29.55 hourly (2020 Rates)
Posting #: 22-03
Posting Date: April 8, 2022
Deadline to Apply: Until Filled
Located in Simcoe, Ontario, Norfolk General Hospital provides exceptional healthcare to a municipality of approximately 69,000 people. Our area of focus provides a continuum of service throughout the life span of the people we serve including Emergency, Critical Care, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Medicine, Surgery, and Complex Continuing Care. Employing approximately 550 highly skilled and dedicated employees, Norfolk General Hospital continues to be a full service 106-bed hospital with round the clock on-call coverage of Specialists in Surgery, Anesthesia, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics, as well as on-site 24 hour per day medical coverage. Simcoe is less than one hour away from most major centers, including Hamilton and London, and only 90 minutes from the Greater Toronto Area. Situated in Norfolk County (Ontario’s South Coast), Simcoe is not far from Lake Erie and the 88 miles of shoreline that includes long stretches of sandy beach.
All activities related to the profession of a Health Record Technician including:
• Coding and abstracting inpatient, same day surgery, outpatient and emergency cases
• Record analysis – quantitative and qualitative analysis of health information
• Data entry, data collection, data analysis and report writing
• Quality assurance and utilization activities including audits
• Retrieval and release of information in accordance with PHIPA and current legislation governing health information, hospital and departmental policies and procedures
• CHIM (Canadian Health Information Management) Certification required
• 2 years experience coding and abstracting
• Demonstrated knowledge of the CHIMA Code of Practice and release of information guidelines
• Excellent knowledge of the Personal Health Information Protection legislation and other legislation and statutes that govern health information management, confidentiality and release of information
• Excellent knowledge of CIHI data, CIHI data indices, report interpretation, data analysis, CMG methodology and RIW assignment
• Proficiency in the analysis of health information, coding and abstracting of inpatient, same day surgery, clinical, outpatient and emergency cases
• Proficiency in the collection, preparation, processing, interpretation and display of data and information
• Excellent keyboarding skills (with a minimum typing speed of 55 WPM)
• Proficient computer skills in windows-based systems – Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint
• Excellent customer relations and problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication skills and ability
• Ability to work well with frequent interruptions and manage multiple tasks
• Ability to work as a team member as well as autonomously
• Excellent attendance
• Previous experience with hospital information systems, central patient index, Meditech and Med2020 preferred. Crystal report writing capabilities preferred.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and updated resume to the Human Resources Department by email at email@example.com referring to the above posting.
In order to ensure equal opportunities during the recruitment and selection process, Norfolk General Hospital and Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities, upon request. Norfolk General Hospital and Norfolk Hospital Nursing Home thanks all applicants for their interest.
Please note that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.