This book is currently only available for purchase for students enrolled in CHA Learning’s programs: Coding Refresher Course, Coding Specialist Program, or the Health Information Management Program. If you require this book and are not enrolled in any of the listed programs above please contact us at email@example.com
HealthCareCAN is pleased to provide the exclusive distribution of the most definitive textbook on the Canadian standards for classification of health care data. Written by the foremost author on the subject in Canada, the newly released 8th edition will prepare both those newly coming to the field and serve as an essential resource to even the most experienced Health Information Management (HIM) professional.
The ICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer is the definitive textbook on the Canadian standards for classification of health care data. This 8th edition will prepare those newly entering the field and serve as an essential resource to even the most experienced Health Information Management (HIM) professional.
The Primer focuses on the application of the Canadian Institute for Health Information ICD-10-CA and CCI to classification in the acute care hospital environment (inpatient and ambulatory care). It contains 30 chapters. Chapters 1 to 4 introduce the coding process and the classification systems. Chapters 5 to 30 are organized by body system or other circumstances requiring health care. These chapters examine the common conditions relative to each body system or circumstance and include:
- specific coding implications
- related pathophysiology
- information about typical health care interventions.
Each chapter contains exercises designed to reinforce key concepts. Answers to the exercises are provided to encourage self assessment and problem solving.
The Eighth Edition contains:
- updates to reflect changes to v2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI
- update to reflect changes to the Canadian Coding Standards for v2018 ICD-10-CA/CCI
- updates to pathophysiology, medical practice and interventions
- new content including soft tissue injuries, influenza, homelessness, medical assistance in dying, neurologically determined death and corneal disorders and transplants
- stronger reinforcement of the criteria for significance of diagnosis type and optional and mandatory code assignment
- enhanced examples, exercises and rationale
- bolding of key terms for improved accessibility
- exercises identified as DAD or NACRS.
While this text is primarily written for those new to health care classification, it also serves as an essential resource for:
- experienced clinical coders, data analysts, physicians and other end users
- those seeking to update and refresh classification skills
- open dialogue about coding practice and promotion of quality and consistency in data classification.
About the Author
Joy Fletcher has worked as a Certified Health Information Management (HIM) professional for more than 35 years. Her career includes health care data collection, health information department management, adult education and professional development, and national standards development and oversight. Joy’s HIM work has traversed small community hospitals, mid-sized regional health care facilities and large teaching institutions. When her career transitioned to adult education, she developed and delivered classroom and distance education courses in the application of ICD-10-CA and CCI for students newly entering the HIM profession and for practicing HIM professionals seeking to refresh their coding skills and transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10-CA.
JoAnne Lokun has enjoyed a diverse career in health information management which includes data collection and management positions at various acute care facilities in Toronto ON and Nanaimo BC; instructor in the HIM program at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton AB; contract work for the HIM program in Douglas College in New Westminster BC; and working from home in Nanaimo BC as Classification Specialist for the Canadian Institute for Health Information. Retired now, JoAnne likes to travel, read and garden and is fascinated by astronomy.