Coding Specialist Program
This program has now been updated v2022 of the ICD-10-CA and CCI Classifications and the Canadian Coding Standards.
This program is recognized by the Canadian College of Health Information Management as preparatory for the Coding and Classification Specialist Certification.
This program will prepare HIM professionals to become specialists in acute care coding and classification.
The Coding Specialist Program will improve accuracy, consistency, and productivity, and improve confidence to code even the most complicated cases. You will be recognized as a coding expert and improve your employability in the coding job market.
This program is ideal for employers who wish to train new coders or improve consistency and efficiency of current coding staff. Group rates are available in these situations so please contact us for more information.
Why Take This Program?
- Approximately 120-150 hours of practice and learning
- Learn on your own schedule – start anytime, complete as quickly as you want in up to 15 months
- Teaches you problem solving techniques you can use with any challenging chart
- Hands-on experience with real cases and most relevant, up to date resources
- Supported by expert coding faculty
- Be recognized as an expert
- All graduates will be eligible to apply for CHIMA’s Classification and Coding Specialist Certification (CCCS)
- Graduates may claim 30 CHIMA CPE Credits in the Formal HIM-Related Education category
Who Should Take This Program?
- Newly certified HIM professionals looking to work in acute care coding roles
- Current coders looking to improve their coding accuracy and efficiency
- Outpatient coders looking to move into inpatient coding roles
- Those looking to be more competitive in the coding job market
- Compare the Coding Specialist Program and the Coding Refresher Course
This program requires an application. It is intended for certified Health Information Management professionals who meet at least one of the requirements below:
- Have graduated from an accredited Canadian Health Information Management Program in the past two years OR
- Have worked in a coding role using the ICD-10-CA/CCI classifications within the last 2 years.
Proof of one of the above will be required as part of the application process.
- Proof of active certified membership in CHIMA.
- Access to CIHI’s ICD-10-CA and CCI Folio Views Software is required and available for free to CHIMA members. More information will be provided after enrolment. Encoder software is not allowed in this program.
- Apple users will require additional software that converts the operating system to Windows (e.g.: parallels) in order to use the Folio software
More information on application documents can be found here.
- Approximately 150 hours
- Take up to 15 months to complete, at your own pace
- $1095 CAD
- International students, please contact us before applying.
- Optional Recommended text:
- Optional: ICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer, 9th Edition – eBook ($155) or Paperback ($225)
At the completion of this program, learners will be able to:
- Apply coding and classification rules, principles, and standards with confidence
- Display a high level of accuracy, completeness, and efficiency in coding charts of varying degrees of complexity and type
- Apply a systematic process to problem solving any case
- Assign ICD-10-CA and CCI codes for any codes, for any case and explain/justify code selection confidently:
- Explain how and why they arrived at codes
- Identify key information sources and pertinent facts needed for decision-making
- Apply and explain all relevant coding rules and principles
- Access appropriate resources and support
- Use common and helpful tips and tricks to enhance accuracy and efficiency
- Use appropriate and consistent methods of troubleshooting
Each of 6 modules will contain key coding and classification rules, conventions, resources, and tips for clinical cases of each category. Learners must then code a series of charts, in clinical types identified as particularly challenging, frequently problematic, or complex. A journal component will help the learner to bring coding and classification processes to a consistent, conscious level.
Module 1: Fundamentals – Refresher
Module 2: Medicine
Module 3: Surgery
Module 4: Obstetrics
Module 5: Neoplasms
Module 6: Trauma
Coding Specialist Program Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this course?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning. You will also be eligible to challenge the exam for the Classification and Coding Specialist Certification (CCCS)
- Do I need to be a certified HIM Program to enrol?
Yes, you must be a certified, active member of CHIMA to enrol.
- Do I have to have recent coding experience to enrol?
Yes, to enrol in this program you must either have recent coding experience within the last two years, or be a graduate of an accredited HIM program within the last two years.
- Can I take this course if I live outside of Canada?
In some cases, international applicants are eligible to take this course. Please contact us to discuss your situation.
Related Programs and Courses
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.