This dynamic and interactive course explores the Lead Self domain of the LEADS in a Caring Environment leadership framework. This domain focuses on the internal reflection and external behaviours a person must do and demonstrate to be an effective leader. This involves taking responsibility for your own performance and using emotional intelligence to gauge and manage your emotions. You will also explore the importance of seeking opportunities and challenges for growth on a personal and professional level and what it means to demonstrate character. Working through Lead Self is an opportunity for you to determine who you are as a leader.
Lead Self at a glance
- This course is part of the LEADS Inspired Leadership Program
- Enrol at any time
- Approximately 8 hours of learning to be completed at your own pace in up to 2 months
- Designed with busy professionals in mind
- This course meets the Canadian College of Health Leaders’ Certified Health Executive (CHE) Select Program requirement for the Lead Self domain
- Facilitated by certified LEADS Canada faculty
- Developed in partnership with CCHL through LEADS Canada
- Eligible for 2 CCHL maintenance of certification credits (MOCs)
Who should take Lead Self course?
- Those pursuing the CHE Select designation from the Canadian College of Health Leaders and require completion of the Lead Self domain
- Frontline and point-of-service professionals in health
- New and experienced managers (e.g., supervisor, team lead, manager, director)
- Those who successfully completed previous CHA Learning courses (e.g., Management Essentials, Integrated Quality Management, Food Service and Nutrition Management, and Health Information Management)
- Those wanting to enhance or refresh their leadership capabilities
Participants can be individuals – or teams – from:
- Across the entire continuum of health services
- Healthcare organizations supporting the health system at all levels (local to national organizations)
- Ministries of health and health authorities
At the completion of this course you will have:
- Explored your self-awareness as a leader, including your strengths and limitations.
- Recognized the influencing factors that affect your ability to manage yourself.
- Explored the values of integrity, honesty, and emotional resilience as they relate to leadership.
- Created a plan to foster self-development.
There are no awards available for this course at this time. Click here to learn more about student awards.
All faculty are LEADS Canada certified.
English is the language of instruction for all CHA Learning courses. It is therefore recommended that students be competent in reading, writing and speaking English. For more information please contact us.
Students must have basic computer knowledge and internet navigation skills; and access to a computer with Windows 7 or higher.
- Students choosing to use Mac or Linux operating system must have experience using alternate remote access software.
- CHA Learning staff can only assist Windows operating system users and provide technical support in relation to our website; we do not provide technical support for internet and/or basic computer use.
Other technical requirements:
|CHA Learning Technical Requirements|
|Screen Resolution||800×600 (minimum); 1024×768 (recommended)|
|Internet Browsers||The most recent version of one of the following:
|Plug-ins||Pop-up blocker: disabled
Java Script: Enabled
|Internet Connection||Broadband (cable or DSL) connection required|
|Software||Word processing software, Adobe Reader|
There are no application prerequisites for this course. To enrol:
- Click on the enrol button
- Add the product to your cart
- Create an account if you are new to CHA Learning or sign into your existing account
- Complete the Billing Information page
- Enter your payment information, accept the terms and conditions and make your payment
- You will receive an email with instructions to access the course material within 5-7 days.
Participants complete one graded assessment which will be marked by the faculty. Feedback will be provided. Participants must achieve an overall grade of 60% to pass this course.
In addition, through case-based learning, the participant will develop their own leadership scenario related to this course. (The leadership scenario is not submitted for assessment or feedback).
Reflection and other learning activities are included to enhance learning and are not graded.
CHA Learning will award students a certificate for successful completion of the course.
- $450 for Canadians
- $650 for International students
All prices listed above are in CAD.
Please note: Bulk registration discounts are available for groups. Please review the Group Enrolment information here.
In this course you will explore the concept that strong leadership starts with you: your leadership philosophy and the factors that influence it, how you carry yourself as a leader and the ways in which you seek opportunities and challenges to learn and grow all play a part in how you are able to influence those around you
The course includes case-based learning and exploration of the Lead Self domain of the LEADS in a Caring Environment framework. The course includes:
- A domain assessment (graded)
- A case scenario activity (not graded)
- Reflection and other learning activities (not graded)
The course includes the following four Lead Self capabilities:
|Self Awareness||You are aware of your own assumptions, values, principles, strengths, and limitations.|
|Manages Self||You take responsibility for your own performance and health.|
|Develops Self||You actively seek opportunities and challenges for personal learning, character building, and growth.|
|Demonstrates Character||You model the qualities such as honesty, integrity, resilience, and confidence.|