Unlock your potential. Be a health leader.
Interested in enrolling, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
It is the job of management to design and deliver programs that are efficient and effective; it is the job of leadership to engage people in continuous improvement efforts, so services are constantly evolving to respond to the changing expectations and technological advances of society, while remaining sustainable in terms of taxpayer affordability. Both these functions work in tandem when working in a society in which change—in technology, in social values, and in individual access to information—is almost exponential in rate.
This course will describe management and leadership skills and how good management and leadership can have a positive impact on your program, department, and organization. The skills and processes that you previously used to manage your own work may not translate into successfully managing and leading others. This course will give you an introduction to managing and leading within the context of the health system and help you to prepare for the challenges and rewards of being a manager.
Introduction to Managing and Leading at-a-glance
- Delivered entirely online
- Register at any time
- Approximately 25 hours of learning, to be completed in up to 4 months
- Innovatively weaves leadership throughout using the LEADS in a Caring Environment Leadership Framework
- Webinars from subject matter experts from across Canada
- “Keys to Success” videos created specifically for this course by prominent Canadian healthcare leaders.
- This course is part of the Management Essentials Program. For more information about the Management Essentials Program click here
Who should take Introduction to Managing and Leading?
This course is intended for new or aspiring managers from:
- across the continuum of care (eg., from health promotion to long-term care)
- healthcare organizations supporting the health system at all levels (eg., local to national organizations)
- ministries of health and health regions.
Participants may include:
- regulated and non-regulated health professionals (eg., nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, pharmacy technicians, medical laboratory technologists, etc.)
- project or program managers
- departmental managers in health organizations (eg., purchasing, housekeeping, facilities, etc.)
- health analysts (eg., business, program, policy)
- health research managers
- anyone who is interested in enhancing or refreshing their existing management and leadership knowledge.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between managing and leading
- Articulate the main functions of good management
- Describe the main theories and models of management that have been influential over the years
- Describe the LEADS in a Caring Environment Capabilities Framework
- Integrate management skills with leadership skills in the context of change
- Distinguish between mechanical and organic systems
- Differentiate between stability versus change
- Explain the internal and external forces that lead to changes in healthcare organizations
- Implement techniques to address common challenges faced when implementing change
There are no awards available for this course or program at this time. Click here to learn more about student awards.
English is the language of instruction for all CHA Learning courses. It is therefore recommended that students be competent in reading, writing and speaking English.
Students must have basic computer knowledge and internet navigation skills; and access to a computer with Windows 7 or higher.
- Students choosing to use Mac or Linux operating system must have experience using alternate remote access software.
- CHA Learning staff can only assist Windows operating system users and provide technical support in relation to our website; we do not provide technical support for the Internet and/or basic computer use.
Other technical requirements:
|CHA Learning Technical Requirements|
|Screen Resolution||800×600 (minimum); 1024×768 (recommended)|
|Internet Browsers||The most recent version of one of the following:
|Plug-ins||Pop-up blocker: disabled
Java Script: Enabled
|Internet Connection||Broadband (cable or DSL) connection required|
|Software||Word processing software, Adobe Reader
Recommend knowledge and comfort using Microsoft Excel
Grading includes tests, assignments, graded discussion forums and webinars. To achieve a certificate, students must complete the course, pass each graded component with 60% or greater, and achieve a 60% or greater on the overall grade.
CHA Learning will award students a certificate of successful completion of the course.
- $745 for Canadians
- $945 for International students
- $1,295 for Canadians
- $1,495 for International students
- 1,895 for Canadians
- $2,095 for International students
For more information about the Management Essentials Program, please click here.
This course includes the following topics:
Internal and external forces generating pressure for change
Change, leadership and management
Understanding mechanical and organic systems
Management and leadership – a perfect couple
Facing the challenges of management and leadership in the Canadian health system