People-Centred Care Program
The People-Centred Care Leadership Certificate program will enable healthcare professionals at all levels to lead healthcare change and improvement in partnership with patients, families and providers. This program is intended for anyone working across the health system continuum, to collaboratively improve the care experience for all involved. This comprehensive program combines leading research and knowledge about people-centred care, engagement and experience available in Canada and worldwide—with concrete, evidence-based and practical tools that learners can apply locally.
This innovative program is supported by faculty teams, made up of a health system expert and a patient partner. Each learner in the program will benefit from coaching and feedback from both members of their assigned team, bringing a new level of experiential learning and mentorship.
Participants will learn how to engage, partner and build relationships that enable people-centred care and will be able to champion culture change in their organization or team.
Why Take This Program?
- Learn how to actively engage and partner with patients, families and staff
- Deep learning, valuable for anyone in healthcare, at any level
- Practice new skills while you learn
- Work with expert faculty and patient partners throughout the program to get personal feedback
- Take regular opportunities for self-reflection and engagement with peers
- Approximately 120 hours of learning to be completed in up to 12 months
- Includes real patient, family and stakeholder stories throughout the program
- Must be currently working or volunteering within a healthcare-related organization and able to complete the assignments in-person or virtually with patients, families and staff
- Approximately 120 hours to be completed in up to 12 months
- $1995 CAD
- $2295 International
After completing this program, learners will have demonstrated the capability to lead the design and implementation of healthcare quality, safety and experience improvements and initiatives in partnership with patients and families.
Course 1: Foundations of People-Centred Care
- Introduction to People-Centred Care
- People-Centred Care at the Individual Level
- People-Centred Organizations
- Patient and Family Engagement
- How to Engage
- Methods and Tools Used to Engage
- Cultural Safety
- Equity in Engagement
- Patient and Family Experience Patient Reported Experience Measurement (PREMs)
- Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs)
Course 2: Enablers of People-Centred Care
- Leadership for People-Centred Care
- Change Leadership
- Organizational Culture
- Healthy Workplaces
- Staff and Clinician Engagement
- Organizational strategy/strategic planning for PCC
- Organizational Tactics for PCC
- Sustainability and Spread
Course 3: Applications of People-Centred Care
- Experience-Based Co-Design
- Co-Design Lessons Learned in Canada
- Design Thinking
- Human-Centred Design
- Special applications in PCC and Co-Design
Course 4: Applied Final Project
In the final project, learners will apply the knowledge, skills, and abilities they have developed throughout the program in a final project, where they will actively lead and partner with patients, families, providers and stakeholders in a small-scale change or improvement.
People-Centred Care Program Quick FAQ
- Were patient partners involved in the development of this program?
Yes, patient partners and system experts were engaged in developing the curriculum, and as faculty members. All students are assigned to a team of faculty that always includes a patient partner.
- Will my self-reflections be kept confidential among peers in the program?
Yes, all participants sign a privacy agreement at the start of this program that specifies that because of the nature of this program, it is especially important that learners keep others’ reflections and posts confidential and to encourage open sharing and dialogue.
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.