Be a champion and leader of patient safety in your organization
The Canadian Patient Safety Officer Course (CPSO) is jointly developed and delivered by the Canadian Patient Safety Institute and HealthCareCAN, supported by experts from across Canada and internationally. You will meet peers from across the country and share learning and experiences throughout the session.
The Canadian Patient Safety Officer Course equips healthcare professionals and leaders with the information, tools, and techniques to build a strong patient safety culture within their organizations.
- 2019 Workshop Dates: Monday, June 3 – Thursday, June 6 in Ottawa
- A series of workshops, delivered in Ottawa once a year over four days
- More time for discussion and question periods
- Total 32 hours of learning
- In-person access to subject matter experts
- Curriculum delivered by foremost patient safety experts
- Intensive learning experience, with opportunities for networking with Canadian and international peers
- Designated time for focused learning on patient safety
- Also available anytime through online version
- NEW THIS YEAR: We have listened to past participant feedback to make some changes to the program this year, including:
- More interactivity
- More focus on why patients must be partners in safety and care
- More time to work on patient safety project plans
- Days ending earlier to allow for more relationship-building and assimilation of learning
Who should take the Canadian Patient Safety Officer course?
This program is designed for healthcare professionals and leaders who have the formal responsibility of disseminating patient safety principles and programs throughout the organization. Registrants may be (but are not limited to):
- Personnel responsible for quality improvement of patient safety
- Clinical and non-clinical managers
- Allied health professionals
- Any healthcare professional interested in managing and improving patient safety
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Use tools and techniques to develop a patient safety program
- Recognize system-induced patient safety incidents
- Recognize human factors related to patient safety, such as non-technical skills or fatigue
- Understand high-risk clinical processes
- Develop strategies to influence and enhance patient safety culture
- Foster communication, teamwork, and organizational culture as it relates to patient safety
- Examine other special and emerging topics in patient safety
There are no awards available for this course or program at this time. Click here to learn more about student awards.
The Canadian Patient Safety Officer Course is delivered by foremost patient safety experts. Below the 2018 faculty are listed and slight adjustments may be made for the 2019 program, coming soon.
To be successful in the Canadian Patient Safety Officer course, students must meet the following requirements.
English is the language of instruction for all CHA Learning courses. It is therefore recommended that students be competent in reading, writing and speaking English.
Students must be able to access the online portal prior to the session, to download materials.
- Click on the Register Now button
- Add the product to your cart
- Create an account if you are new to CHA Learning or sign in to your existing account
- Complete the Billing Information page
- Enter your payment information, accept the terms and conditions and make your payment
- Within seven business days, we will contact you to confirm your registration and provide further details about the course.
Note: If you are traveling to attend this conference, hotel details will be provided to you after registration.
CHA Learning and Canadian Patient Safety Institute will award students a certificate for successful completion of the course.
Students who complete the CPSO in-person course are eligible for Continuing Medical Education credits (CME) and Certified Health Executive Maintenance of Certification credits. Contact email@example.com for more information.
|Price group||Cutoff dates|
|Super-Early Bird Registration Deadline:||December 31st, 2018
|Early Bird Registration Deadline:||March 8th, 2019|
|Early Bird Tuition:||$3,775.00|
|Registration Deadline:||April 30th, 2019
Please note: Bulk registration discounts are available for groups. Please review the Group Enrolment information here. Tuition covers educational materials, daytime meals, and a social event.
The CPSO course will cover topics including:
- Why Patient Safety: Patients Part of the Healthcare Team
- Safety Culture Measurement & Improvement
- Human Factors & Patient Safety
- Partnering with Physicians
- Provider Experience with Patient Safety Incidents
- Just Culture & Disclosure
- Clinical Decision Making
- Project Proposal Planning – Planning and Implementing a Safety Improvement Project
- Teamwork & Communication
- Liberating Structures
- Leading in Patient Safety
- Building a Strategy & Structure for Patient Safety
- Spreading & Sustaining Patient Safety Improvements