Enrol now for $500 off the tuition price for the first 20 enrolments!
Developed and delivered in partnership with
This innovative online learning program will prepare any healthcare professional to lead quality improvement projects and initiatives in any healthcare environment. Acquire the skills and knowledge needed via a systematic quality improvement framework and practical tools that can be applied to any quality improvement initiative or objective. Learners will use The Ottawa Hospital’s renowned 5-step Innovation Framework that incorporates lean, six sigma and the model for improvement into one comprehensive yet practical and effective approach for healthcare.
QIL Program Overview
- Supported by expert improvement coaches who provide 1:1 support
- Based on The Ottawa Hospital’s innovative and renowned quality improvement methodology, the TOH Innovation Framework
- Incorporates lean, six sigma and the model for improvement into one comprehensive yet practical and effective approach for healthcare
- Applied, practical learning using concrete tools and techniques
- Fully-online, self-paced and continuous enrolment, designed with the working professional in mind
- Combines e-learning with practical activities and coaching support
- Ideal for individuals or for teams and organizations wishing to train staff with a consistent QI approach
- Group and member discounts available
- Customization options will be available with additional coaching support
- Complete in as little as 50 hours (dependent upon selected project scope) within 12 months or less
Listen to what Dr. Alan Forster has to say about the need for this program in the health system:
This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the University of Ottawa’s Office of Continuing Professional Development. You may claim a maximum of 54.0 hours (credits are automatically calculated).
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the University of Ottawa’s Office of Continuing Professional Development for up to 54.0 Mainpro+ credits.
Who should take the QIL program?
Any healthcare professional, clinical or non-clinical, wishing to:
- Become a quality improvement leader
- Champion quality improvement activities in their department or service
- Hone their quality improvement skills and knowledge and acquire a systematic QI process they can use daily to improve care in their environment
Learners will design and execute a quality improvement project using a variety of QI tools, in collaboration with interprofessional team members, and demonstrate quantifiable evidence of impact of change.
In this program, you will learn how to:
- Define and scope quality improvement problems and prepare for QI projects
- Analyze QI problems, identify root causes and create improvement plans
- Test, measure and refine improvements prior to roll-out
- Sustain improvements and continually monitor progress
- Evaluate improvements in a comprehensive way and spread success to other parts of the organization
The program will also include foundational quality improvement material as well as essential leadership tips throughout.
There are no awards available for this course at this time. Click here to learn more about student awards.
Faculty for this program are quality improvement specialists from The Ottawa Hospital.
For the Quality Improvement Leadership program, students must meet the following requirements.
- Participants must be currently working in a healthcare environment and have support to take on a quality improvement project.
- Participants should come prepared with a quality improvement challenge or problem they would like to address through this program which will form the basis of learning.
Learners will be required to have a project sponsor. The project sponsor must be a leader in the learner’s organization at a level where they have the ability to sanction and support the project, remove barriers, provide resources if required.
While every project and every student is different, the project sponsor could be expected to invest approximately 10% of the total student time during the course of their studies (i.e.: 50 hours for the student = 5 hours for the sponsor over the course of the project which could be up to a year). The time commitment then depends on the scope of the project chosen.
Activities the sponsor will be involved in include:
- Periodic meetings with the learner during the course of their studies and project
- Reviewing phases of work and providing feedback if required
- Helping to problem solve or remove barriers
- Providing support to help champion the project with others on the team or in the organization
- Other leadership and coaching as required
English is the language of instruction for all CHA Learning courses. It is therefore recommended that students be competent in reading, writing and speaking English.
Students must have basic computer knowledge and internet navigation skills; and access to a computer with Windows 7 or higher.
- Students choosing to use Mac or Linux operating system must have experience using alternate remote access software.
- CHA Learning staff can only assist Windows operating system users and provide technical support in relation to our website; we do not provide technical support for internet and/or basic computer use.
Other technical requirements:
|CHA Learning Technical Requirements|
|Screen Resolution||800×600 (minimum); 1024×768 (recommended)|
|Internet Browsers||The most recent version of one of the following:
|Plug-ins||Pop-up blocker: disabled
Java Script: Enabled
|Internet Connection||Broadband (cable or DSL) connection required|
|Software||Word processing software, Adobe Reader
Microsoft PowerPoint or equivalent
(note: those using Apple software must be able to save files in Office formats where required (i.e.: .doc,)
Applicants will be asked to confirm that they have a quality/safety problem they would like to solve and a project sponsor.
- Click on the enrol button
- Add the product to your cart
- Create an account if you are new to CHA Learning or sign in to your existing account
- Complete the Billing Information page
- Enter your payment information, accept the terms and conditions and make your payment
- You will receive an email with instructions to access the materials within 5-7 business days of payment processing
For each module there are assignments that must be completed in order to move on and finish the program.
Throughout the program learners will be work on their quality improvement project and each module’s assignments will work towards the summative implementation of it. Each assignment represents an important activity and set of skills and/or tools needed along the way. They are intended to not only help build and implement the improvement project, but to also build important skills that will benefit learners throughout their careers (such as running team meetings, data collection and analysis, communication and training).
CHA Learning will award learners a certificate upon successful completion of all program components.
$1,795 for Canadians
$1,995 for International Students
Please note: Bulk registration discounts are available for groups. Please review the Group Enrolment information here.
All prices listed above are in CAD.
Program Outcome: Learners will design and execute a quality improvement project using a variety of QI tools, in collaboration with interprofessional team members, and demonstrate quantifiable evidence of impact of change.
This program will be divided into 6 modules. All modules will include key leadership tips and considerations throughout.
Module 1 – Introduction to Quality, Science of Improvement, Introduction to The Framework
• Define quality improvement and unique attributes in healthcare.
• Articulate the domains of healthcare quality domains.
• Describe the aspects that make up the science of improvement.
• Differentiate between quality improvement and research.
• Describe the unique attributes and components of The TOH Innovation Framework for QI.
• Compare The Innovation Framework to commonly used QI frameworks and models.
Module 2 – Define the Problem
• Utilize team formation prerequisites while building effective teams.
• Identify problems using the voice of the customer.
• Recognize the need for patient engagement and incorporate patient advisors into future projects.
• Compose a project charter including an effective problem statement and aim statement.
• Identify the 3 different types of measures and incorporate in future projects.
• Initiate an A3 and use as a communication and organization tool.
Module 3 – Analyze the Situation
• Effectively analyze a problem using data to identify root cause.
• Develop an effective set of measurements to quantify and evaluate change ideas.
• Design a process map.
• Employ Root Cause Analysis tools such as 5 Whys, Fishbone Diagram, Pareto Charts, Prioritization Matrices and performance tools such as run charts.
Module 4 – Test & Trial
• Plan a test of change.
• Undertake the test of change.
• Evaluate the results of the test.
• Determine action consisting of Adopt, Adapt or Abandon.
Module 5 – Lock-In
• Apply techniques to sustain an improvement and monitor on-going operational performance.
• Identify, monitor and analyze key performance indicators (KPI).
• Create or revise procedures, forms, operating instructions and training plans to create standard work in supporting sustained improvement.
• Leverage audit and feedback mechanisms to support sustainability.
Module 6 – Evaluate & Spread
• Evaluate the success of the project against established aims.
• Evaluate the application of the quality improvement method (The Innovation Framework).
• Reflect on lessons learned.
• Determine opportunities and essential components for spread to other areas.
• Develop a presentation that effectively summarizes your improvement project and the impact of your change ideas for colleagues and organizational leaders.
Enrol now for $500 off the tuition price for the first 20 enrolments!