Learn from dynamic health coding courses.
This program is recognized by the Canadian College of Health Information Management as preparatory for the Coding and Classification Specialist Certification.
This program will prepare HIM professionals to become specialists in acute care coding and classification.
The Coding Specialist Program will improve accuracy, consistency, and productivity, and improve confidence to code even the most complicated cases. You will be recognized as a coding expert and improve your employability in the coding job market.
This program is ideal for employers who wish to train new coders or improve consistency and efficiency of current coding staff. Group rates are available in these situations so please contact us for more information.
Coding Specialist Overview
- Approximately 120-150 hours of practice and learning
- Learn on your own schedule – start anytime, complete as quickly as you want in up to 15 months
- Teaches you problem solving techniques you can use with any challenging chart
- Hands-on experience with real cases and most relevant, up to date resources
- Engage in fun, eLearning activities
- Supported by expert faculty
- Be recognized as an expert
- All graduates will be eligible to apply for CHIMA’s Classification and Coding Specialist Certification (CCCS)
- Graduates may claim 30 CHIMA CPE Credits in the Formal HIM-Related Education category
Who should take the Coding Specialist Program?
- Newly certified HIM professionals looking to work in acute care coding roles
- Current coders looking to improve their coding accuracy and efficiency
- Outpatient coders looking to move into inpatient coding roles
- Those looking to be more competitive in the coding job market
- Teams being supported by organizations to upskill and learn together
- Click here to compare the Coding Specialist Program and the Coding Refresher Course
At the completion of this program, learners will be able to:
- Apply coding and classification rules, principles, and standards with confidence
- Display a high level of accuracy, completeness, and efficiency in coding charts of varying degrees of complexity and type
- Apply a systematic process to problem solving any case
- Assign ICD-10-CA and CCI codes for any codes, for any case and explain/justify code selection confidently:
- Explain how and why they arrived at codes
- Identify key information sources and pertinent facts needed for decision-making
- Apply and explain all relevant coding rules and principles
- Access appropriate resources and support
- Use common and helpful tips and tricks to enhance accuracy and efficiency
- Use appropriate and consistent methods of troubleshooting
There are currently no awards for this program. Click here to learn more about student awards.
Nationally recognized coding experts were engaged in developing this program and will be supporting it as faculty.
This course is intended for certified Health Information Management professionals who meet at least one of the requirements below:
- Have graduated from an accredited Canadian Health Information Management Program in the past two years OR
- Have worked in a coding role using the ICD-10-CA/CCI classifications within the last 2 years.
If you do not meet these requirements, please contact us to discuss. We can be reached by phone at 1-855-236-0213
Required Enrolment Documents:
Proof of CHIMA Membership
- Copy of proof of active CHIMA membership (i.e. membership card, which can be printed online)
- Current resume showing evidence of active acute care (hospital) coding using ICD-10-CA/CCI classifications within the last 2 years.
HIM Program Transcript – ONLY Required for those who are recent graduates of an HIM program who do not have on-the-job coding experience.
- Transcript showing completion of an accredited Canadian HIM program within the last 2 years
- CHA Learning HIM Graduates do not need to supply a transcript, instead, please provide us with the year you graduated and your student number
Learners must have access to the CIHI ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio software v2018 (folio) to take this course, either in the workplace or by accessing the product license through our bookstore.
This software is intended for students in the Coding Specialist Program, the Coding Refresher Course, or the HIM Program. It is not available to members of the general public or those not currently enrolled in one of these programs. If you have not yet enrolled in one of these programs, you will not be able to access this software in our bookstore. Once you have enrolled, you can access the software here: CIHI ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio software v2018
Learners may not use encoder software in completing this course. Please review the technical requirements for this software.
The IICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer (textbook) is recommended as a resource and there are activities in the book listed in the course. However, those activities are not mandatory or graded. Please contact us to purchase this book.
English is the language of instruction for all CHA Learning courses. It is therefore required that students be competent in reading, writing, and speaking English.
Students must have basic computer knowledge and internet navigation skills; and access to a computer with Windows 7 or higher.
- Students choosing to use Mac or Linux operating systems must have experience using alternate remote access software
- CHA Learning staff can only assist Windows operating system users and provide technical support in relation to our website; we do not provide technical support for internet and/or basic computer use.
|CHA Learning Technical Requirements|
|Screen Resolution||800×600 (minimum); 1024×768 (recommended)|
|Internet Browsers||Google Chrome|
|Plug-ins||Pop-up blocker: disabled
Java Script: Enabled
|Internet Connection||Broadband (cable or DSL) connection required|
- Click on the Enrol button
- Upload the required documents
- Add the product to your cart
- Purchase the optional ICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer (textbook) to your cart if desired.
- Create an account if you are new to CHA Learning or sign in to your existing account
- Complete the Billing Information page
- Enter your payment information and make your payment
- We will send you login details to access the program material when your enrolment is processed, within 5-7 business days after purchase
- Ensure you have access to CIHI ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio software v2018 (folio) or return to our website and add the product to your cart (only available to students after they have enrolled in the Coding Specialist Program, the Coding Refresher Course, or the HIM Program
The Coding Specialist Program includes 6 modules. Each module includes mandatory (but ungraded) reading assignments mandatory activities and an e-learning activity with several case studies that must be coded. As well, a journaling process must be completed to explain code assignment. Learners will receive feedback from expert faculty.
To achieve a program certificate, learners must correctly code 80% of the cases in each module. Learners are provided with multiple attempts as well as faculty support. In addition, quality and completion marks will be assigned to the journal by the faculty. To achieve a program certificate, learners must correctly code 80% of the cases in each module using Folio only.
Coding Specialist Program Certificate
CHA Learning will award students a certificate for successful completion of the program.
Continuing Education Credits
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates may claim 30 CHIMA CPE Credits in the Formal HIM-Related Education category.
- $1095 for Canadian students
- International Students, please contact us before enroling
Please note: Bulk registration discounts are available for groups. Please review the Group Enrolment information here.
- Learners must have access to the CIHI ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio software v2018 (folio) to take this course, either in the workplace or by accessing it through our website. Learners may not use encoder software in completing this course. This software is not available to members of the general public or those not currently enrolled in one of these programs. If you have not yet enrolled in one of these programs, you will not be able to access this software in our bookstore. Once you have enrolled, you can access the software without charge here: CIHI ICD-10-CA/CCI Folio software v2018
- The ICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer (textbook) is an optional textbook and is recommended as a resource to support learning. $180.00 + tax
All prices listed above are in CAD.
Each of 6 modules will contain key coding and classification rules, conventions, resources, and tips for clinical cases of each category. Learners must then code a series of charts, in clinical types identified as particularly challenging, frequently problematic, or complex. A journal component will help the learner to bring coding and classification processes to a consistent, conscious level.
- Module 1: Fundamentals – Refresher
- Module 2: Medicine
- Module 3: Surgery
- Module 4: Obstetrics
- Module 5: Neoplasms
- Module 6: Trauma
CHA Learning gratefully acknowledges the member organizations and key advisors who contributed expert input into program development and case materials for this program:
- Margaret Penchoff, BA, BHIM, CHIM
- Joy Fletcher, CHIM
- Karen Leigh Cormier, CHIM
- Connie Fleese, CHIM, BA
- Denise Fotopoulous, BSc., CHIM
- Meredith Henderson, CHIM
- Lisa Landry-Kwawu, CHIM
- Kimberley Partridge
- Cynthia Penner, CHIM
- Monique Rasmussen, CHIM
- Karen M. Smith, CHIM
- Claire Esson, CHIM
- Heather Buckley, CHIM
- Canadian Health Information Management Association
- Horizon Health Network, New Brunswick
- The Ottawa Hospital, Ontario
- Providence Healthcare, British Columbia
- Northern Health Region, Manitoba
- St. Michael’s Hospital, Ontario