Understanding the Long-Term Care System(s) Course
This course will equip new or aspiring managers in long-term care with critical knowledge about the Canadian long-term care sector as part of the larger health system. You will increase your awareness of how to navigate and work within the health system and LTC as part of that system, and what supports and what gets in the was of being successful in your role. You will also explore the philosophy of long-term care and how it creates the direction to creating standards of care and the guiding principles of person-centred care in working for an aging society. Finally, as a manager in long-term care you will be better prepared for its important trends and innovations and how changes in the demographics of both residents and staff will create complex challenges.
Why Take This Program?
- Built for new and aspiring managers
- Delivered entirely online, register at any time
- Innovatively weaves leadership throughout using the LEADS in a Caring Environment Leadership Framework
- “Keys to Success” videos created specifically for this course by prominent Canadian healthcare leaders
- This course is part of the Management Essentials Program. For more information about the Management Essentials in Long-Term Care Program click here
- There are no application prerequisites for this course
- There is a required textbook for this course:
The required textbook must be purchased independently by the student, it is not included in the tuition price.
Book title: “Bringing Leadership to Life in Health: LEADS in a Caring Environment” authored by Graham Dickson and Bill Tholl.
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN – 13: 978-1-4471-7026-6
ISBN – 13: 978-1-4471-4874-6
- Approximately 25 hours
- Complete in up to 4 months, at your own pace
Unit 1: Long-Term Care Within the Canadian Health System(s)
- Understand the evolution of long-term care in Canada;
- Distinguish between federal and provincial/territorial responsibilities for healthcare in Canada;
- Explain why Canada’s health system is referred to in the plural;
- Identify the key factors accounting for the slow development of long-term care compared to acute care;
- Discuss the shift in emphasis from acute care to non-acute care indicating when and why it occurred, and the related challenges;
- Describe the components of facility-based long-term care; and
- Explain why the continuum of care is a pertinent concept in facility-based long-term care
Unit 2: Long-Term Care Residents and Current Issues
- Describe the variety of clients of facility-based long-term care;
- Discuss Canadian population projections;
- Describe the influence of affluence, and its absence, on the projected needs of tomorrow’s elderly citizens in Canada;
- Identify and discuss several major issues in facility-based long-term care;
- Give an overview of cognitive disorders in elderly focusing on achievements and challenges with health services in Canada;
- Correlate major concerns facing individual long-term care organizations with broad issues and challenges; and
- Recognize how an organization can further its interest in technology and facility development while acting prudently and with restraint.
Understanding the Long-Term Care System(s) Course Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this course?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
- If I choose to take all of the courses or transfer to the full program, will I get credit for taking this course alone?
Yes, taking the individual courses will count towards completion if you choose to transfer to the full Management Essentials in Long-Term Care program.
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.