NEW! The Coding Refresher Course will launch at the end of September 2019.
Use your CHA Learning Alumni loyalty code to receive a 10% discount on tuition. Claim your discount
The Coding Refresher Course is intended for certified Health Information Management (HIM) Professionals who do not have recent acute care coding experience and who wish to refresh their knowledge and skills in order to work in an entry-level coding role, or to prepare to take the Coding Specialist Program.
This refresher course is a chapter-by-chapter review of the basic application of ICD-10-CA v2018 and CCI v2018 coding rules and conventions and the application of the Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI directive statements to clinical documentation.
Coding Refresher Course At a glance:
- Enrol anytime
- Online, self-paced, flexible learning
- Supported by expert faculty
- Under 80 hours of study – complete as quickly as you wish or in up to 12 months
- Refreshes coding knowledge and skills in all chapters of the Classifications
- Uses both case studies and real de-identified charts
- Graduates may claim 30 CHIMA CPE Credits in the Formal HIM-Related Education category
Note: The course will not cover the history of the classification, the difference between a classification and a terminology, abstracting, data submission to CIHI, grouping methodologies or analysis of the data.
Learners MUST use CIHI’s Folio Views ICD-10-CA and CCI Classifications software in this program. The use of encoding software is not permitted.
Who should take the Coding Refresher Course?
- Certified HIM Professionals who do not have recent acute care coding experience and wish to refresh their knowledge and skills
- Newly certified HIM professionals who need additional coding practice and support for employment
- HIM Professionals wishing to upgrade their skills in order to take the Coding Specialist Program
- Individuals or teams being supported by organizations to upskill for coding positions (group and member discounts available)
- Click here to compare the Coding Refresher Course and the Coding Specialist Program
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Review a source document and collect the pertinent facts.
- Enter the correct and complete ICD-10-CA and CCI codes and mandatory data elements into the appropriate abstract for the specific episode of care.
- Apply knowledge of abbreviations, medical terminology and biomedical sciences (e.g., anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology) to the pertinent facts documented in the source document.
- Apply ICD-10-CA and CCI to the pertinent facts documented in the source document.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ICD-10-CA and CCI structure and format.
- Apply the ICD-10-CA and CCI coding rules, conventions and general principles.
- Maneuver through the electronic version (Folio Views®) of the classifications to efficiently and accurately locate ICD-10-CA and CCI codes.
- Apply the direction in the Canadian Coding Standards for ICD-10-CA and CCI.
There are currently no awards for this program. Click here to learn more about student awards.
Nationally recognized coding experts were engaged in developing this program and will be supporting it as faculty.
You must be a certified HIM professional with CHIMA and a graduate of an accredited Canadian HIM program in order to take this course.
International applicants are welcome with proof that they are a member of a health information management association that has a reciprocal agreement with CHIMA or they can demonstrate that they have had formal ICD-10 training. Acceptance is with the understanding that it is their responsibility to become familiar with the Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2018 ICD-10-CA and CCI and the intervention classification (CCI) used in Canada with direction from the lead instructor. Please contact us to discuss.
Required Enrolment Documents:
- Copy of proof of active CHIMA membership (i.e. membership card, which can be printed online)
- Transcript showing graduation from an Accredited Canadian HIM program OR
- Resume showing graduation from an Accredited Canadian HIM program OR Canadian coding experience
- Please contact us if you are an international applicant who is not certified with CHIMA or you have never learned how to code using the Canadian Classifications ICD-10-CA and CCI.
Learners must have access to the CIHI ICD-10/CCI Folio software (v. 2018) to take this course, either in the workplace or by purchasing the product license through our bookstore. Learners may not use encoder software in completing this course.
The ICD-10/CCI Coding Primer textbook is a required resource for this course.
English is the language of instruction for all CHA Learning courses. It is therefore required that students be competent in reading, writing, and speaking English.
Students must have basic computer knowledge and internet navigation skills; and access to a computer with Windows 7 or higher.
- Students choosing to use Mac or Linux operating systems must have experience using alternate remote access software
- CHA Learning staff can only assist Windows operating system users and provide technical support in relation to our website; we do not provide technical support for internet and/or basic computer use.
|CHA Learning Technical Requirements|
|Screen Resolution||800×600 (minimum); 1024×768 (recommended)|
|Internet Browsers||Google Chrome|
|Plug-ins||Pop-up blocker: disabled
Java Script: Enabled
|Internet Connection||Broadband (cable or DSL) connection required|
- Click on the Enrol button
- Upload the required documents
- Add the product to your cart
- Ensure you have access to the CIHI ICD-10/CCI Folio software (v. 2018) or add the product to your cart
- Purchase the mandatory ICD-10/CCI Primer textbook to your cart if needed
- Create an account if you are new to CHA Learning or sign in to your existing account
- Complete the Billing Information page
- Enter your payment information and make your payment
- We will send you login details to access the program material when your enrolment is processed
*International applicants, please contact us
This course will include two tests and a final exam.
A passing grade of 70% on each assessment is required to receive this certificate.
CHA Learning will award students a certificate for successful completion of the program.
$749 for Canadians
$949 for International Students
Please note: Bulk registration discounts are available for groups. Please review the Group Enrolment information here.
All prices listed above are in CAD.
More information will be available soon
- Maneuvering through the electronic version of the classifications
- ICD-10-CA coding conventions and rules
- CCI coding conventions and rules
- General coding standards for ICD-10-CA
- General coding standards for CCI
- Eye disorders
- Ear, nose, mouth and throat disorders
- Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic disorders
- Skin, subcutaneous tissue and breast disorders
- Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders
- Multisystemic or unspecified site infections
- HIV infections
- Cardiac disorders
- Vascular disorders
- Blood and hematopoietic disorders
- Respiratory disorders
- Digestive disorders
- Hepatobiliary and pancreatic disorders
- Kidney and urinary tract disorders
- Male reproductive disorders
- Female reproductive disorders
- Nervous system disorders
- Mental and behavioural disorders
- Other reasons for hospital care
- Poisonings, effects and reactions
- Post-intervention conditions
- Pregnancy and childbirth