Foundations of Healthcare Quality Program
The Foundations of Healthcare Quality certificate provides learners with an introduction to healthcare quality and quality improvement specific to the healthcare environment. This program is for you if you are looking to build your foundation to improve quality and safety in your daily role and you currently have little or no experience in quality improvement. Once you have your foundation, you may be interested in moving into more advanced quality improvement training like our Health Quality Innovation Program.
Why Take This Program?
- Learn everything you need to know to start improving quality & safety now
- Build foundational Healthcare Quality and Improvement skills so you can create meaningful change
- Created by Canadian subject matter experts
- Current, practical content presented through fun, interactive e-learning activities – use what you learn right away
- Get support and feedback from expert faculty coaches
- Learn at your own pace in a fully online and flexible format
- Advance your career or enhance your skills for your current role in quality improvement in a healthcare organization
- Prepare to take the Health Quality Innovation Program
- There are no application prerequisites for this program
- Approximately 30 hours
- Take up to 6 months to complete, at your own pace
- $749 CAD
- $949 International
- No added material costs or fees
At the end of this program, you will have the requisite foundational knowledge to start a career or role in health quality and improvement or be able to start leading targeted quality improvement in your team department. You will have a solid understanding of the role of organizations and leaders in fostering a quality culture and strategy and be able to use common quality tools including measurement.
Unit 1 – Introduction to Healthcare Quality
- Foundational terms and concepts
- What is healthcare quality and why is it important?
- Triple and quadruple aim
- Brief history of QI
- Dimensions of quality
- Levels of quality
- Partnering with patients and families
Unit 2 – Organizational Quality
- Creating organizational conditions for quality
- Establishing a culture of quality and safety
- Priorities for quality in healthcare organizations
- Quality strategy & integration with organizational strategy
- Elements of a quality plan
- Planning & setting direction
- Understand your Provincial/Jurisdictional context and assess your organization’s quality strategy
Unit 3 – The Quality Improvement Process
- Common quality improvement methodologies
- Common principles of effective QI
- How to use a comprehensive and systematic QI process
- Common QI tools (e.g.: root cause analysis/fishbone, AIM statements, PDSA cycles, prioritization matrix) that support analysis and learning about QI issues and possible solutions
- Practice identifying problems, aims and root causes
Unit 4 – Measuring and Monitoring Quality
- Why measurement is critical for quality
- Types of quality measures
- Developing effective measures
- Data sources & collection
- Reporting and monitoring tools
- System-level quality measures
- Practice testing and measuring a change
Foundations of Healthcare Quality Program Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this program?
At the end of this program, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.