Health Quality Innovation Program
This innovative online learning program will prepare any healthcare professional to lead innovation and quality improvement projects and initiatives in any healthcare environment. Acquire the skills and knowledge needed via a systematic quality improvement framework and practical tools that can be applied to any quality improvement initiative or objective. Learners will use The Ottawa Hospital’s renowned 5-step Innovation Framework that incorporates lean, six sigma and the model for improvement into one comprehensive yet practical and effective approach for healthcare.
Why Take This Program?
- Champion innovation, change and quality improvement activities in your department or service
- Hone your quality improvement skills and knowledge and acquire a systematic process while solving a real quality or safety problem
- Become a quality improvement leader
- Supported by expert improvement coaches who provide 1:1 support
- Based on The Ottawa Hospital’s innovative and renowned quality improvement methodology, the TOH Innovation Framework that incorporates lean, six sigma and the model for improvement into one comprehensive yet practical and effective approach for healthcare
- Fully-online, self-paced and continuous enrolment, designed with the working professional in mind
- Combines e-learning with practical activities and coaching support
- Complete in as little as 50 hours (dependent upon selected project scope) within 12 months or less
This program is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the University of Ottawa’s Office of Continuing Professional Development. You may claim a maximum of 54.0 hours (credits are automatically calculated).
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the University of Ottawa’s Office of Continuing Professional Development for up to 54.0 Mainpro+ credits.
- Participants must be currently working in a healthcare environment and have support to take on an improvement project
- Participants should come prepared with a quality improvement challenge or problem they would like to address through this program which will form the basis of learning
- 50+ hours (depending on project scope)
- Take up to 12 months to complete, at your own pace
- $1795 CAD
- $1995 International
Learners will design and execute a quality or safety improvement project using a variety of QI tools, in collaboration with interprofessional team members, and demonstrate quantifiable evidence of impact of change.
Module 1 – Introduction to Quality, Science of Improvement, Introduction to The Innovation Framework
- Define quality improvement and unique attributes in healthcare
- Articulate the domains of healthcare quality domains
- Describe the aspects that make up the science of improvement
- Differentiate between quality improvement and research
- Describe the unique attributes and components of The TOH Innovation Framework for QI
- Compare The Innovation Framework to commonly used QI frameworks and models
Module 2 – Define the Problem
- Utilize team formation prerequisites while building effective teams
- Identify problems using the voice of the customer
- Recognize the need for patient engagement and incorporate patient advisors into future projects
- Compose a project charter including an effective problem statement and aim statement
- Identify the 3 different types of measures and incorporate in future projects
- Initiate an A3 and use as a communication and organization tool
Module 3 – Analyze the Situation
- Effectively analyze a problem using data to identify root cause
- Develop an effective set of measurements to quantify and evaluate change ideas
- Design a process map
- Employ Root Cause Analysis tools such as 5 Whys, Fishbone Diagram, Pareto Charts, Prioritization Matrices and performance tools such as run charts
Module 4 – Test & Trial
- Plan a test of change
- Undertake the test of change
- Evaluate the results of the test
- Determine action consisting of Adopt, Adapt or Abandon
Module 5 – Lock-In
- Apply techniques to sustain an improvement and monitor ongoing operational performance
- Identify, monitor and analyze key performance indicators (KPI)
- Create or revise procedures, forms, operating instructions and training plans to create standard work in supporting sustained improvement
- Leverage audit and feedback mechanisms to support sustainability
Module 6 – Evaluate & Spread
- Evaluate the success of the project against established aims
- Evaluate the application of the quality improvement method (The Innovation Framework)
- Reflect on lessons learned
- Determine opportunities and essential components for spread to other areas
Health Quality Innovation Program Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this program?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
- Do I need to have basic quality improvement knowledge to take this program?
Yes, it is recommended that learners have some foundational knowledge in order to be successful. If you do not have this foundation, you could consider our Foundations of Healthcare Quality course first.
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.